Thursday, November 9, 2023

Far Cry 6: Nope

I've battled through several hours with the game, hit level 6, gathered a number of new weapons, cosmetics and trinkets, advanced the story quite a bit, taken out various installations and checkpoints, but I am just not feeling this game. 

I noticed the slapdash approach to the instigating plot in my previous post, and thus far, there were no interesting flashbacks or other methods for filling me in on the origin of the Viviro which they are spraying on the tobacco. I'm still not sold on the economics of the situation either - if the island had somehow stumbled on a general-purpose cancer cure, then the streets would be lined with gold. That isn't to say there couldn't be some kind of serious oppression going on, but I have a hard time buying the story I'm being sold. 

There was another aspect that jumped out at me: as the game tries to justify all the "busy work" necessary in a modern Ubisoft game, one of the main quest giver characters (Juan Cortez) says something to the effect of a guerilla needing to have a certain style, needed to live a certain way. Again, I just don't buy it. He's trying to sell a revolutionary "lifestyle" to Dani, and to the player, so we'll want to spend lots of time customizing our outfit, weapons, and cars. It feels almost verbatim lifted from a Grand Theft Auto game, but you just can't swap out "gangbanger" with "revolutionary guerilla" and have it come across the same. Revolutionary militia aren't believable when worrying about customizing their look - theirs is not a permanent, ongoing lifestyle, the way a gang member's might be. 

Anyway, story aside, the gameplay loop has been well and truly established early on, and it isn't enough to hold my attention for the many more hours that are going to be required to finish this thing. Speaking of mechanics, I also find the "Supremo" to be utter hogwash. Not just unbelievable in terms of a series of tubes strapped to one's back suddenly containing heat-seeking rockets, but it's also a "press to win" button of sorts that I felt really detracted from the experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Diablo 4: A Terminal Deficit of Soul

One knows basically what to expect when starting a new game of Diablo: archetypal role-playing game class selections, gothic Christian aesth...